Tips and Tools:
College Lifestyle: What to Store?
You have better things to do with your time then to spend it organizing closets. Going through your dorm or apartment once a semester and deciding what to do with your stuff can help you stay organized during the year.
That’s important—because when you have more living space, you’re happier. It’s also faster and easier to keep things clean when you don’t have a lot of clutter in your way. But here’s what’s even better: at the end of the school year, when you are ready to move to your next destination, you’ll find that it is much easier to pack up and move to your next place when you’ve used your storage appropriately. So find a good day once a semester and commit to sorting through your stuff. You’ll thank yourself for it all year long.
Once you decide to rent a unit, it is time to figure out what to put in it. To get started, ask yourself the following questions:
- What parts of the room are cluttered?
- Where do I really need space?
- What items do I use infrequently?
Students find that self-storage units are very helpful for:
- Storing furniture during the summer
- Storing clothing during the off season
- Storing musical instruments and computer equipment that is not in use
- Storing sports equipment, like camping equipment, surfboards and skis, when you don’t need them.
What else do students need to know about self-storage?
- Storage facilities in university towns book up quickly before summer. Plan to reserve your unit well in advance.
- Call around. In order to calculate cost accurately, you need more than a cost estimate; you need details. Will the facility prorate your deposit? Can you get a discount for paying in advance? What happens to your stuff if you miss your payments? Do they have student or short-term discounts that you can qualify for? Take a look at our Student Storage Overview for more advice on questions to ask your storage company.
- Read your contract carefully. Never sign anything you don’t agree with.
We hope you choose Next Door Self Storage Company for your school storage needs. But no matter which facility you choose, these guidelines will help you choose wisely.
Even better? We have locations all over Illinois, so your belongings are never far from home.